Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Be Good to Yourself



I try hard with this one because I sometimes forget about myself when my husband has big stuff going on.

"Be good to yourself" isn't merely a collection of words but a gentle reminder of self-care's importance in my caregiver role. It echoes the necessity of acknowledging my needs, emotions, and well-being amidst the challenges. By embracing self-care, I create a foundation of resilience and strength for myself and those I care for.

We recently had Covid for the first time. I tested positive three days before he did. The day I started feeling better and woke up with that "hallelujah" feeling, he was sick. Suddenly, it was like being in a sick ward! I raced around the house while I felt well and cleaned, vacuumed, washed the floors, changed the sheets, and knocked out all of my chores in a couple of hours. 

Thankfully, I was ready when his complaining really kicked in. My daughter calls this "man sick" and she calls it like it is. He moaned and groaned until he took a nap, then spent the rest of the day alternately scrolling his news feed and dozing. I didn't realize how much I'd pushed myself until I finally plopped onto the couch and put my feet up. It's easy for me to keep going, long after I'm ready for a break, but once I stop, it's really hard to get going again. 

I look at caregiving that way: it's easier to focus on my husband, my children, chores, and work, than it is to stop and take note of where I am and how I'm doing. 

We are both on the mend today. The tiredness creeps in quickly now. But every day is better than the last. 

I'd love to hear how you take count of where you are and what you need. Do you set calendar reminders, or just stop when you need it? How do you keep track of you when you're caring for others? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anchors

  Everyone knows what an anchor is.  It is a part of a boat that holds it to a particular place so it doesn't float away.  It is a suppo...